SDLT Breakfast Seminar For Conveyancers – Truro
October 28, 2019 @ 8:00 am – 10:00 am
Organised by X-Press Legal Services
Presented by Robert Bailey of Bishop Fleming
As part of The Cornwall Festival of Business, X-Press Legal Services and Bishop Fleming are running a free SDLT Breakfast Seminar for Conveyancers.
Bishop Fleming’s lead SDLT specialist, Robert Bailey, will run through those matters most commonly raised with Bishop Flemings tax teams and which are clearly causing most difficulty for those preparing SDLT returns, including:
1. The rate of tax
- Is it residential, non-residential or mixed property?
- Fit for occupation? Does the Bewley case change the law?
- How big can garden and grounds be? 0.5 hectare, 7 acres or even 65 acres?
- What is the relevance of the buyer’s intentions for the property?
- Does the 3% surcharge apply? – counting dwellings, annexes and conditions for relief
- Enveloped property and the 15% flat rate – the commonest current cause of SDLT related negligence claims against solicitors
2. Multiple Dwellings Relief (MDR)
- Applying MDR to mixed property
- The interaction with the 3% surcharge
3. Dealing with HMRC enquiries
- Can you rely on what HMRC say?
- Anti-avoidance – the fall-out from the Project Blue case and s75A
The presentation will be a brief summary of the risks, issues and opportunities but Robert will take questions on any SDLT matters and will be available to discuss specific matters in more detail afterwards.
If you have any questions please email James Ferguson on email@example.com or phone 0772 500 3809